Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bibleland Appreciation Thread 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Brown
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
... anything Byrne ever told Weymouth to play.

Big Grin

Mad

That is pretty funny! Tongue

Not after spending much time on the TalkBass forums where someone says it everytime her name comes up. It might be different if it were true.

After Tim, Weymouth is the player from whom I've learned the most.

No, I know, she is a great bass player. Cool

I think the perception a lot of "rock people" have is that girls can't "rock." Roll Eyes

That's kind of why it's funny to me.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-10-2008 15:51.

03-10-2008 15:50 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Mad

Not after spending much time on the TalkBass forums where someone says it everytime her name comes up. It might be different if it were true.

I think the perception a lot of "rock people" have is that girls can't "rock." Roll Eyes

In deference to everyone, I think it's fair to say that an inordinate amount of the praise given to Talking Heads was heaped upon Byrne, and therefore there's the prevailing notion that the rest of the band were there more for filling up the stage than much else.

Of course it's not true, but that won't alter that perception.
03-10-2008 16:08 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Mad

In deference to everyone, I think it's fair to say that an inordinate amount of the praise given to Talking Heads was heaped upon Byrne, and therefore there's the prevailing notion that the rest of the band were there more for filling up the stage than much else.

Of course it's not true, but that won't alter that perception.

Yup. Very true.
That seems to happen a lot, for example Jim Morrison had the same deal going on for him, and there were other strong musicians and songwriters in The Doors besides him.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-10-2008 17:49.

03-10-2008 17:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

This morning I dug out Bibleland (btw: is it Bibleland or BibleLand?). Coming on the heals of Motor Cycle, my favorite DA album, Bibleland threw me for a loop. The more accessible tunes, Broken Ladders to Glory, Out in the Cold and I'll Get Over It became instant favorites, but most of the rest of the album came off as very abrasive. Where Motor Cycle was shimmer and shine, Bibleland was rust and mildew in terms of sound.

Listening to Bibleand this morning I found that it stands up very well on its own. I had to cast off my expectations and just listen to it for what it is. I plan to listen to it a few more times in the coming days and weeks to see how it grows on me.

03-10-2008 18:45 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Bibleland typifies a favorite Rush lyric "Tough times demand tough songs".

I'm currently on a Motor Cycle kick myself because I need that rose-colored glory vision right now... And I think that the album was meant that way, just as Bibleland is meant to be a letter from the front where the bombs do drop and people do get hurt... and some die. It's powerful because it chronicles the saints and sinners alike, dazed, confused, punch drunk and throwing up over the lonely bridge of sighs.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DwDunphy: 03-10-2008 19:43.

03-10-2008 19:42 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
This morning I dug out Bibleland (btw: is it Bibleland or BibleLand?). Coming on the heals of Motor Cycle, my favorite DA album, Bibleland threw me for a loop. The more accessible tunes, Broken Ladders to Glory, Out in the Cold and I'll Get Over It became instant favorites, but most of the rest of the album came off as very abrasive. Where Motor Cycle was shimmer and shine, Bibleland was rust and mildew in terms of sound.

Listening to Bibleand this morning I found that it stands up very well on its own. I had to cast off my expectations and just listen to it for what it is. I plan to listen to it a few more times in the coming days and weeks to see how it grows on me.

I felt that way about MotorCycle after Kalhoun, it was only after I was able to cast off my expectations could I really enjoy MotorCycle.

I go with BibleLand as that's what it says on the front cover! Tongue

03-10-2008 20:27 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Bibleland. It's powerful because it chronicles the saints and sinners alike, dazed, confused, punch drunk and throwing up over the lonely bridge of sighs.

Yes. Yes it is.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 03-10-2008 20:29.

03-10-2008 20:28 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

quote:
When I first saw BL in the store, I didn't even give it a chance I am sad to say. I saw the title and thought it was too "youth-groupie."

Silly me.

I was just unprepared for BL's harshness & bleakness after having really enjoyed most of MOTOR CYCLE. I had to get past that before I could appreciate it.

quote:
I didn't know who had died there. I guess I missed the part about his grandfather. Thanks again. It is a very good song.
I will have to listen to the disc again on my way home.

Again, why do the "official liner notes" shed no light on this? They sound like they were written by someone who had no idea what Terry was writing about and took a stab in the dark. The description of the song in the AMG profile of BL hits closer to the truth. (Sorry, just had to get that little peeve off my chest.)

03-11-2008 07:14 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

to me the liner note rather typify (can we say it to oft?) the mood of the recording

one line shots (basically) on a one take project.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-11-2008 07:44 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by ftg3plus4
quote:
I didn't know who had died there. I guess I missed the part about his grandfather. Thanks again. It is a very good song.

Again, why do the "official liner notes" shed no light on this? They sound like they were written by someone who had no idea what Terry was writing about and took a stab in the dark. The description of the song in the AMG profile of BL hits closer to the truth. (Sorry, just had to get that little peeve off my chest.)

Again, this portion of the 'official liner notes' was actually the description of the song 'Kalhoun' from THAT album's 'official liner notes' (published in Vertigo, the Fun Club newsrag). I'm sure it can be chalked up to clerical error.
03-11-2008 07:55 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:

Again, this portion of the 'official liner notes' was actually the description of the song 'Kalhoun' from THAT album's 'official liner notes' (published in Vertigo, the Fun Club newsrag). I'm sure it can be chalked up to clerical error.

Yup.

03-11-2008 08:33 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

Good afternoon, Mr. Chandler. Having a slow Tuesday?
03-11-2008 15:17 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

Real Men Don't Use Amp Modelers Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I was going to engage any and all comers in a rousing discussion about Pee Wee Herman but it appears that my time is up. Please pay the receptionist on your way out.

Speaking of Gene Eugene, my wife found a CD copy of Dig at the local goodwill. If anyone wants it I'm only asking $4 which will cover the $3 we paid for the CD plus $1 for shipping. Email me at uvulapie * yahoo
03-11-2008 15:28 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
quote:

Yup.

Here's the real liner notes for 'Bakersfield', straight from Vertigo.

Bakersfield> Bleak human landscape, flat-roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themselves and just because He feels like it.
03-11-2008 19:01 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thanks! Pleased

03-12-2008 06:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

quote:
Bakersfield> Bleak human landscape, flat-roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themselves and just because He feels like it.

Actually, those are the notes I was referring to. Not a hint there about what Terry talked about in the interviews.

03-12-2008 12:36 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
NonProphet NonProphet is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Bibleland & Motorcycle Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I missed this thread first time around. But my memory of Bibleland was pretty cool... I was working at Ichthus as a liaison for Lost Dogs and Terry had brought a cassette rough mix of Bibleland which he proceeded to play (loudly) for myself and a stranger in the back seat of the SUV. I remember thinking "This really rocks... hard." Turns out the stranger was Jerry Chamberlain, whom I got to hang out with most of the weekend. We're now good friends, and I believe the cut we heard that day was "Constance of the Universe" which remains one of my faves.

Motorcycle is VERY high on my DA list, though, because of the production value on it, and because of Jerry's input (notice the "with Jerry Chamberlain" production credit. I've always credited Jerry with balancing the "art rock" direction some DA can take with a Beatlesque pop/rock sensibility (I admit... I'm a power-pop junkie). Nowhere is his contribution more evident than Motorcycle. Don't get me wrong... I love Greg, and his playing compliments Jerry's very well.

But when Jerry and Terry work together in production (remember Doppelganger?), the result is always magical, IMHO.

Steve B.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by NonProphet: 03-12-2008 12:44.

03-12-2008 12:41 NonProphet is offline Send an Email to NonProphet Homepage of NonProphet Search for Posts by NonProphet Add NonProphet to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

quote:
quote:

Actually, those are the notes I was referring to. Not a hint there about what Terry talked about in the interviews.

For the general market the songs sumary may have been put in a philosphical nutshell, but in an interview Terry can elaborate more personally. There usually is a lot more that inspires a song than what is generally expressed and often times people can assume they see the whole picture when it could be only an aspect. Case in point, the political references in Kalhoun were, according to Terry, his expressions about certain aspects of the then current administration. But one shoudln't then assume he is not critical about the other side as well, they just didn't happen to be in power at the time.

I believe, if I am not mistaken, Terry wrote the bakersfield song based on feelings he had when going to his grandfathers funeral. It could be taken as a slam of the city on face value, but I think there is more to it than that. Often times, we need to criticize or show the ugliness of the group we ourselves are a part of. The Church needs to recognise where we fail and point that out and accept it in order to not continue making the same mistakes.

03-12-2008 13:15 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

RE: Bibleland & Motorcycle Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by NonProphet

But when Jerry and Terry work together in production (remember Doppelganger?), the result is always magical, IMHO.

Steve B.

I agree. Cool

03-12-2008 17:09 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! Thanks! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by NonProphet
I missed this thread first time around. But my memory of Bibleland was pretty cool... I was working at Ichthus as a liaison for Lost Dogs and Terry had brought a cassette rough mix of Bibleland which he proceeded to play (loudly) for myself and a stranger in the back seat of the SUV. I remember thinking "This really rocks... hard." Turns out the stranger was Jerry Chamberlain, whom I got to hang out with most of the weekend. We're now good friends, and I believe the cut we heard that day was "Constance of the Universe" which remains one of my faves.

Great story! Cool

03-12-2008 17:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bibleland Appreciation Thread

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH