Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top 5 Daniel Amos Albums » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Top 5 Daniel Amos Albums
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

FLYING BUTTRESS!!!!!! There.

07-25-2008 17:53 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
FLYING BUTTRESS!!!!!! There

That would make a good band name. "The Flying Buttress' latest album There features Berger Roy Al on bass."

Maybe not.

07-25-2008 17:58 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Berger Roy Al
Swirling Eddies

Registration Date: 02-14-2003

I was already thinking of changing the Comb-overs' name to The Flying Buttressesezzesz s gk

07-25-2008 18:00 Berger Roy Al is offline Send an Email to Berger Roy Al Homepage of Berger Roy Al Search for Posts by Berger Roy Al Add Berger Roy Al to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Berger Roy Al: I_am_not_insane! YIM Account Name of Berger Roy Al: I_AM_not_insane! View the MSN Profile for Berger Roy Al
Ceremonial Kernel

Gotta run, Berger. If you happen to see that Tim Chandler guy, tell him for me that he's the better bass player. Big Grin
Take care!

07-25-2008 18:02 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
Maybe I have the "Wrong George" but did you have post as "Will" in the past?

I remember a similar story involving the old college roommate who listened to Angels Tuck You In as a kind of "bedtime prayer."

Indeed. I was out of town off-and-on for a couple of years and only recently came back to the board--reborn as George. My hectic schedule has eased up this summer a bit. But yeah--the college in question was Oral Roberts University in the mid 80s--at which I lasted for 1 year before just about losing my mind. Took a few years to recover.
07-26-2008 08:32 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Yeah, those Christian Colleges can be something awful.

Good to see you on the board again! Pleased

07-26-2008 09:11 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Batesy Batesy is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

images/avatars/avatar-428.gif

Registration Date: 04-06-2007

Late to the game here but here are my top 5 and why:

5. Shotgun Angel: They were a different band in many ways back then but the slick 70's analog production coupled with Terry Taylor's whimsical lyrics and the band's unusual persona make this record quite an achievement. There really wasn't a christian record out there that sounded quite like it. Sure it sounds like the Eagles or whatever but in the end its kinda like DA were pressing their tongues firmly in their cheeks as they appeared to be playing it straight.

4. Vox Humana: I think the boys SHOULD release a new version of this album b/c the songs are just GREAT and a new production spin would open up a whole new view. That being said, the album sounds great to me still. With bands like Postal Service bringing back the synth, this album doesn't sound dated it sounds in.

3. Horrendous Disc: A really great pop record that has plenty of melody/lyrical craft. My best friend growing up turned me on to DA and this was the album that struck a chord first. They were channeling late period Beatles but subverting it at the same time. There are a few songs that sound like filler but the rest is just amazing.

2. Darn Floor: This was a tough decision. I keep flipping this and Doppleganger around. This is without a doubt the best thing the band has ever achieved musically. Greg's guitar work is so critical, so key. Everything is top shelf.

1. Doppleganger: It's just the single most definitive DA record. They are who they are on this record. There is something dark and haunting about this record. It's funny and scary. It's melodic and aggressive. It's slick and it's raw. Not to sound like a vinyl snob but this record, more than any other DA album, sounds so much better on LP than CD.

07-26-2008 10:30 Batesy is offline Send an Email to Batesy Search for Posts by Batesy Add Batesy to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Doppelgänger for some reason on CD just sounds okay to me.
But on viny it sounds 100% better.
It's much more of a favorite of mine on the LP.
Plus the artwork is so much better that way.

Darn Floor - Big Bite also sound fantastic on vinyl.
It's also very heavy vinyl. 180 gram maybe.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 07-26-2008 10:46.

07-26-2008 10:45 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Vox Humana sounds better on vinyl to me.
It seems to have a little more weight to it, for some reason.
Same deal as with Doppelgänger.

07-26-2008 23:39 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Isn't a buttress a horny protuberance?
07-26-2008 23:53 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Ubique Epoque

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

No, that's a butter horn, ya big Silly head! Tongue

07-27-2008 04:13 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

I'm going to say...

1. Alarma
2. Kalhoun
3. MotorCycle
4. Mr. B.
5. Songs of the Heart

I think.
07-27-2008 09:19 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

1. Mr. B's Dream
2. Motorcycle
3. iAlarma!
4. Vox Humana
5. Kalhoun

...for today...that is...

07-31-2008 18:16 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
Isn't a buttress a horny protuberance?

reported..... Mad

bobd

07-31-2008 18:42 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Thumb Up! Okay, this list is the one! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1. Darn Floor- Big Bite. "an exercise in discovery a moody, magnificent album which defies easy description. Each listening brings new insights, impressions building up like the coats of lacquer on a Japanese jewel-box."~Harvest Rock Syndicate Mark Eischer.
No one forgets their first! Big Grin

2.) The Alarma Chronicles. "It would be inaccurate to say that Daniel Amos is on the cutting edge of Contemporary Christian music. THe group is far ahead, preparing the way for the knife." CCM Magazine April 1981.

3) Mr Buechner's Dream. "Sounds like … a cornucopia of classic rock sounds: The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Clash, The Wallflowers, and Starflyer 59 to name a few.
At a Glance … this is quite possibly the best work from Terry Scott Taylor and the band, highlighted by strong alternative classic rock and superbly crafted songs. "
This is the one indeed.

4) Bibleland. "After the smoothness of Motorcycle, to hear Bibleland is somewhat jarring. It's not just the music, either. The lyrics reflect the rawness and roughness of the music, or vice versa. A few songs are barely listenable to me, including the title cut." posted by John Foxe.
Oh yeah, I loved this one right away! Big Grin

5) MotorCycle. "Though the group's Beatles/Beach Boys/Mersey Beat roots were never completely hidden, D.A. hasn't worn its '60's influences so plainly on its sleeve since 1980's Horrendous Disc." by Bruce A. Brown
Psychedelic and litigurical, MotorCycle is dense, rich, wonderful.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 08-02-2008 12:09.

08-02-2008 12:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

^This records on this list is so close to each other.
Mr Buechner's Dream could just as easy fit into the number slot.

08-04-2008 17:32 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
1. Doppelganger. My opinion, this is the best new wave album ever recorded. Very creative, moody, deep, and progressive.
2. Alarma!. As Richard Peace put it in his review back in 1981 in Concert Magazine, "It...is a brash, new, and intensely creative musical experience."
3. Songs of the Heart. I love the concept, and DA executed it with perfection. This album should have sold 500,000 copies for the cover of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You alone.
4. Mr. Buechner's Dream. Lyrical genius, very forward thinking musically. A bit inconsistant at times, but that is made up for nicely by the large number of songs on the two CDs.
5. MotorCycle. All-around great album. I like how some songs fade into and out of each other (like on side "b" of Shotgun Angel). A little more "pop-ish" than a typical (if there is such a thing) DA album, but done very, very well.

A side note is that I've never heard all of Darn Floor- Big Bite, and I'm sure it would land in my "Top 5" if I had heard it (I can't wait for that rerelease to be done!).

OK, now that I own DF-BB, here is my updated list:

1. Darn Floor - Big Bite. Awesome in every way! It might be the best album I've ever heard.
2. Doppelganger. This is one of the best new wave album ever recorded. Very creative, moody, deep, and progressive.
3. Alarma!. As Richard Peace put it in his review back in 1981 in Concert Magazine, "It...is a brash, new, and intensely creative musical experience."
4. Songs of the Heart. I love the concept, and DA executed it with perfection. This album should have sold 500,000 copies for the cover of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You alone.
5. Mr. Buechner's Dream. Lyrical genius, very forward thinking musically. A bit inconsistant at times, but that is made up for nicely by the large number of songs on the two CDs.

12-31-2008 16:44 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

well this is a difficult one cause all albums have something good,
this is my opinion (as a baby listener of DA not in age lol)

ok here it goes in no particular order the first 4

Shotgun angel ( simply put a masterpiece )

Fearful Symmetry ( I think its the best overall in the chronicles series ) In comparison with the others this is perfect. The others are good but not entirely as this one

Mr. Buechner's Dream Very nicely done by DA ( i didnt like 1 song out of the 33 (not bad lol))

Horrendous Disc what can be say one of the best cd's from the 70's

Number 5 - This one was hard as I had to pick between Vox humana and alarma. Both are pretty good. Vox humana final songs made my decision a little easier. Still a hard pick!!

Vox humana

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 10-23-2009 20:08.

10-23-2009 20:07 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Piper93442 Piper93442 is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 10-20-2009

RE: Top 5 Daniel Amos Albums Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow, it's my first post and you already want my opinion - sweet!

1. Doppelganger
2. DFBB
3. Vox Humana
4. Alarma
5. HD
10-26-2009 14:52 Piper93442 is offline Search for Posts by Piper93442 Add Piper93442 to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Piper93442
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
^This records on this list is so close to each other.
Mr Buechner's Dream could just as easy fit into the number slot.

It's still cracks me up that this record could be third or first in my top five.

Shocked

11-22-2009 13:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top 5 Daniel Amos Albums

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH