Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Big Hollywood » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Big Hollywood
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

Big Hollywood Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There is an interview with Daniel Smith (Danielson) over at Big Hollywood today. Lost Dogs, TST, Adam Again, DA and others all show up in the comments.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
02-22-2011 09:43 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Nice to see them in the comments, but this guy doesn't really know what he is talking about as far as artistry vs overproduced crap.

02-22-2011 10:51 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's interesting, but I've always been annoyed by how when bands who identify themselves as being Christians, even peripherally, get a little of the spotlight, say absolutely nothing about other Christian artists. Danielson is a strange band/project so I don't see Daniel Smith talking about the Lost Dogs; it kind of makes sense.

But the first Collective Soul album had a lot of DA nods and I had heard grapevine stuff that the band was aware of DA, but never said anything of the kind. As a matter of fact, when POD was interviewed on a local radio station, they were more concerned with talking about the (then current) Paris Hilton sex tape than much else. Was it to protect that Atlantic Records contract, or image? Maybe I'm making a whole lot of something out of nothing, but this cultural gag order is disappointing.
02-22-2011 10:52 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by sprinklerhead

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Nice to see them in the comments, but this guy doesn't really know what he is talking about as far as artistry vs overproduced crap.

I agree. He did some top 10 of 2010 articles and the music really was crap. Mostly electronic type stuff.

02-22-2011 10:56 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I see the pop CCM stuff as having its place, music generated for youth groups and things like that, which is fine. I don't care for most of it, but that doesn't mean its crap. And how well something is produced doesn't change the artistry level one bit, you can have some pretty bad poorly produced stuff and some great artistry that has a huge budget. I get a little irritated at music snobbery.

The only stuff I think lacks artistry is stuff that is either cookie cutter or mimics another artist, we don't need two Bonos for example... Kevin Maxx, I am looking at you.

** The comments about the Dogs and DA are in the responses to the article, the reader comments.

02-22-2011 12:39 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

My thoughts are if one's art is inspired and directed by the Holy Spirit, then one can see that in the art. If someone is going to call their art "Christian" then that art needs to bring glory to God. The art needs to clearly be "from above", and not in some pseudo fashion.
Christian art should be better than non-Christian art because the Christian has God inspiring and directing him or her while the non-Christian does not.

Most of CCM is like a plumber who uses out-of-date techniques, sub-standard pipes, does a half-hearted job, charges 25% more then the industry standard for his service, and says he's doing it "for the Lord" and that plumbing is his "ministry".

02-23-2011 13:32 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
Most of CCM is like a plumber who uses out-of-date techniques, sub-standard pipes, does a half-hearted job, charges 25% more then the industry standard for his service, and says he's doing it "for the Lord" and that plumbing is his "ministry".

Yes, but apparently Oakland is the center of the Contemporary Christian Plumbing universe, not Nashville.

http://www.theplumbingministry.com/

02-24-2011 21:05 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by sprinklerhead

In case anyone is interested, the second part of the interview is here. Big Hollywood

03-09-2011 10:39 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Big Hollywood

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH