Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DAmb Buffalo's Back! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DAmb Buffalo's Back!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Buffalo Buffalo is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-283.jpg

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

DAmb Buffalo's Back! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just a quick note to say I'm still around. I haven't been able to get to the DAmb for awhile, my cable modem service took a hit. Turns out COX changed to higher frequencies (without my prior written permission!) and the cabling in this apartment building I live in is OLD and outdated (that's not redundant, I say) and had too much signal loss by the time it reaches my apartment. The cable-guy went beyond the normally allowed measures and replaced a long run of cable in the attic and greatly improved my signal so now I'm back!

BD: My new computer system is almost complete. It's build was delayed/slowed by my the cable-modem problem as I was using a web site as a guide for putting the system together. I had the store where I purchased the Motherboard, Processor, and memory install the Processor and memory on the Motherboard, but other than that, I've done all the work from selecting the components to installing them. Here's the main features:

Motherboard: MSI GNB Max-FISR (Granite Bay Chipset - Dual Channel DDR memory system for memory bandwidth - built in 10/100 Ethernet, Firewire, USB, SATA Hard Drive interface...) ( FAST!!!)
Processor: Pentium 4 3.06 GHz ( FAST!!!)
Memory: 1Gig
Drives: 160GB HD
CD Burner
DVD Burner
Zip 750
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum w/6.1 Surround (7 speaker system: Left, Center, and Right for both front and rear, and a sub-woofer.)
Video Card: ATI All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro (Outstanding 3D and performance plus view and record TV on Computer)
Of course: Keyboard, mouse, printer, and internet router (both new and old computers will be 'networked' and able to access the internet through my cable-modem!)

Problem is, the processor has been running HOT through all the installation of the WindowsXP and Drivers and accompanying software (so hot that the system protection has been shutting the computer down to prevent meltdown.) I took the system to the dealer today. He figures it's a bad processor or motherboard and will be swapping and replacing so I should be lovin' my PC in a day or two.

DAmb that Negative Fruit: Dolphin wants to do 'Built For Glory' so put that one on the list. I'm thinkin' about 'Startin' Monday' but others are possibilities too, so, don't commit me yet, even though we both know I should have been committed years ago.

ALL: Only had a short time to scan some of the threads but it felt like seeing old friends while reading Woggy, Wes, BD, Baxter, more, more, more...
03-14-2003 02:25 Buffalo is offline Send an Email to Buffalo Search for Posts by Buffalo Add Buffalo to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey buffy! heh heh

Glad to see your back on line. It looks like you have the Mother of all PCs Wink

BD
03-14-2003 08:25 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, great PC!

03-14-2003 22:47 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

Sup Buffalo

03-15-2003 08:53 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I fed the squirrels in my cage
so now I'm running nearly 4 volts!!!

hmmmm, bzzz
(CAble Modem ROCKS!!!!!)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-15-2003 09:07 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Buffalo Buffalo is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-283.jpg

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Buffalo
New PC runnin\' Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hello again to all.

My new PC is now running and connected. I've yet to try out all the features but so far I'm lovin' it.

Concerning my processor running hot: Techs redid the CPU cooler/fan and tidied up the wiring for better air flow but it didn't improve enough (they found the processor and motherboard to be OK) so I got a new case with better ventilation and round cables (for better air flow) and it seems to have helped a bit. (I'm 'burnin' it in' right now.) All this fan noise may well make me go deaf, though! Actually, it's not too bad compared to some systems I've heard. And, if worse comes to worse, I can install a water cooling system and reduce the need for fans! Confused Water inside my PC. Confused

BD: I could play them DVD's now, if I only had them!
03-20-2003 01:10 Buffalo is offline Send an Email to Buffalo Search for Posts by Buffalo Add Buffalo to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Hi, Buffalo Smile

glad you're back............not .backs., but back.........

I don't think it's a good idea to put water in your PC, but then, what do I know?

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

03-20-2003 22:34 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DAmb Buffalo's Back!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH