- Surf Battle at Redondo Beach is released on BEC Records. Rob Watson played keyboards with the Surfaris.
- Dan and Lisa Michaels form Galaxy21 Music.
- Youthworker Magazine reviews When Worlds Collide: A Tribute to Daniel Amos and the music of Terry Scott Taylor.
View Album Reviews
- Terry writes and records demos for various songs, including "Never Stop Loving You,"
"Real Men Cry," "I Like It Like That," "Wind Chimes and Mr. Wind," "Work of Art" (with Randy
Stonehill)," "You Ring My Bell," "Real Deal" (with Bob Farrell), "Your Thief" and "Olley Olley Oxen Free".
February 2, 2001
- DA begins recording Mr. Buechner's Dream at the Green Room.
The sessions begin with work on "The Author of the Story" and "Your Long Year".
February 3, 2001
- DA records "The Staggering Gods," "Flash In Your Eyes," "Beautiful Martyr," and "Ordinary Extraordinary Day" at the Green Room.
February 4, 2001
- DA records "This is the One," "Nowhere is Someplace," "Thick Skin," and "Pretty Little Lies" at the Green Room.
February 10 2001
- DA records "Child on a Leash", "Joel," "Faithful Street," and "Steal Away" at the Green Room.
Terry, on the song "Joel": "As I recall it, Greg Flesch (DA's lead guitarist) brought me a little fragment of music he'd been working on which he thought he and I could possibly develop into a full-fledged song for the album Mr. Buechner's Dream. I immediately fell in love with Greg's chord structure and the little repetitive riff, but I temporarily set the song aside to work on other Buechner tunes. I don't fully recall my thought process in regard to the vocal melody and lyrics, but I do remember thinking early on that Greg's musical fragment had the kind of mesmerizing cadence and melody that might work well as is. The thought occurred to me: What if the song were a kind of repetitive anthem which steadily builds into a crescendo? Once I decided this would be my approach I knew I would need a very simple yet equally compelling lyric to go along with the music. Exactly how the words of 'Joel' came to serve this purpose is unfortunately lost in the fog of my memory, (I don't discount divine providence!), but even now the marriage of music and lyrics possesses, at least to me, the kind of transcendent quality that suggests this is a song that has always existed. Greg and I didn't write it; we found it. The scripture on which 'Joel' is based never fails to to give me a little chill every time I read it. "
February 11, 2001
- DA records "The Tale You Told" at the Green Room.
February 17, 2001
- The Lost Dogs begin to record Real Men Cry at the Green Room in CA.
March 6, 2001
- Fernado Ortega's Camino Largo is released on Myrrh Records. Tim Chandler played bass guitar.
- 33 tracks for Daniel Amos' Mr Buechner's Dream are mastered.
April 23, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform with Tim Chandler, Phil Madeira & Dennis Holt at the BEC showcase in Nashville, TN for GMA week.
Set List: Imagine That, Bullet Train, A Vegas Story (Free Drinks and a Dream), Eleanor, It's Raining Now, No Ship Coming In,
Why Is The Devil Red?, Breath Deep
April 24, 2001
- Before noon, Terry records an interview with John Fischer for his syndicated radio program "WideAngle".
- Terry performs a solo set and with the Lost Dogs at Cafe Milano in Nashville, TN. with Tim Chandler, Phil Madeira & Dennis Holt for the Galaxy21/Warm&Filled "Heroes of Modern Rock" showcase at GMA . Riki Michele, Phil Madeira, The Choir and the 77s also perform at the showcase.
TST Set List: Pretend I'm Elvis, Startin' Monday, Pie Hole, Capistrano Beach, Ten Gallon Hat, Angels Must Smile Like That, You Lay Down
Lost Dogs Set List: Bullet Train, Imagine That, No Ship Coming In, Eleanor, It's Raining, Vegas Story, Certain Love, Built For Glory, Made To Last, Breathe Deep, Why Is The Devil Red?
April 25, 2001
- Terry records some vocal parts for Steve Hindalong's City on a Hill 2 project at Earfull studios in Nashville.
April 26, 2001
- Terry works with Rick Altizer on an upcoming project.
June 5, 2001
- Terry's father passes away in Riverside, CA. Terry later posts the following message on the DA Message Board.
Terry: "Dad went to be with the Lord Tuesday June 5th. During his 'dream state,' Dad was heard to say 'Jesus' several times as well as 'I'm ready to go Home,' and finally 'It's so beautiful.' Monday night, all of the family was there, except for my son. We prayed that God would let my Dad hang on until Andrew arrived from Seattle. Our request was granted. In fact Dad stayed with us until our pastor arrived and prayed along with us that the Lord would take him 'peaceably', a prayer God also answered. During the weeks before his death, Dad's tenderness and love, his desire to be at peace with God, and his insatiable hunger for the "Word" was an astonishment to us all. Dad had always known the truth, but he had also been a rebel most of his life.God's "terrible mercy" had restored him, and in the end, both Dad's life and his death were indelible testimonies to us of the One who is 'able to save to the uttermost.'
God's fingerprints along the way; Someone in the family was playing the Avocado Faultline cd on the stereo. When the nurse announced that Dad was gone, there was an audible gasp from those of us surrounding my Dad. 'Papa Danced On Olvera Street,' the only song that I had specifically written for my father, 'happened' to be the song playing at that very moment...more fingerprints; The day Mom went to pick out her and Dad's grave plots, she had been somewhat disappointed that there weren't any 'by the trees.' Zach, my nephew, suggested two others nearby. My mother was brought to tears when the funeral director happened to notice that 'coincidentally' the plots chosen had the same number as my folks RV home in Palm Springs...lot #91. I could go on. Coincidences. No. Little miracles..little reminders that God was with us through the darkness of it all. Let me say that I have all of YOU to thank. You promised you would pray, and you did. The result was that our gracious and merciful Lord worked a miracle in Dad's life, and in our lives as well. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Through tears I say this: The Lord's Bride may wear a tattered gown, but she is still beautiful beyond measure. I love you all."
- Starflyer 59's Leave Here A Stranger is released on BEC Recordings. Terry Taylor produced. Rob Watson mixed with Chris Colbert.
- The Various Artists compilation Beat is released on Silent Planet Records. The collection includes tracks by Terry, Brooks Williams, Pierce Pettis, Aaron Sprinkle, Jason Harrod, Phil Madeira, John Fischer, and others. One previously unreleased bonus track on the collection is a performance of "Let's Spin!" recorded live by Terry, Mike Roe and Phil Madeira.
June 13, 2001
- Daniel Amos performs in Memphis, TN at One Festival. This is the first live performance of many songs from Mr Buechner's Dream. Plankeye's Luis Garcia sat in for Tim who could not make the show.
Set List: Pretty Little Lies, If You Want To, Who Who's Here, Author of the Story, Ribbons and Bows, Staggering Gods, Ghost of the Heart, I'll Get Over It, Easy for You, Ain't Gonna Fight It, Broken Ladders to Glory, Thick Skin, Joel, And So It Goes
June 29, 2001
(Daniel Amos at Creation 2001. Photo by David Stinson)
- Daniel Amos performs in Mount Union, PA at the Creation Festival as part of the Legends Tour with the 77s, Randy Stonehill and the Sweet Comfort Band. Plankeye's Luis Garcia sat in for Tim who could not make the show.
July 5, 2001
(Left: Greg Flesch, Right: Luis Garcia, Phil Madeira and Terry Taylor. Photos by Commander Cote)
- Daniel Amos performs at the Cornerstone Festival in Bushnel, IL as part of the Legends tour with the 77s, Randy Stonehill and the Sweet Comfort band. Plankeye's Luis Garcia sat in for Tim who could not make the show.
DA also backed Randy Stonehill during his set. Randy shocked the crowd while singing "Good News" by inviting Larry Norman on stage to sing with him. It was the first time the two artists performed together in nearly 20 years. The audience jumped to it's feet and cheered as Larry took the stage.
Set List: Walls of Doubt, If You Want To, Who's Who Here?, Ghost of the Heart, The Author of the Story, Ribbons and Bows, Broken Ladders to Glory, 'Aint Gonna Fight It, Easy For You, Staggering Gods, Pretty Little Lies, New Car!, And So It Goes, Joel
- The Lost Dogs perform at the Cornerstone Festival in Bushnel, IL.
Set List: Bullet Train, Imagine That, No Ship Coming In, Eleanor, It's Raining Now, A Certain Love, Free Drinks and a Dream (A Vegas Story),
In The Distance, Built For Glory, Made To Last, Wall of Heaven, Close But No Cigar, Breathe Deep, Why is the Devil Red?, Matchbox
July 7, 2001
- Terry Scott Taylor performs an acoustic show at the Cornerstone Festival in Bushnel, IL. with Phil Madeira, Steve Hindalong. Mike Roe also made a special appearance on guitar.
- Galaxy21 Music holds a special drawing for Terry's Takamine Acoustic/Electric guitar. On the final day of the festival, the winning name was drawn. The guitar went to the creator of the DA fan site, "A Page for Mr Amos", Kevin Shafer.
Mid July, 2001
- Daniel Amos meets at In and Out Burger to autograph preorder copies of Mr Buechner's Dream. The band was allowed to stay past closing time to sign the CD booklets. In a scene very reminiscent of "Spinal Tap", the band discovered that they had difficulty autographing the black CD booklet. Every marker the guys tried to use would either be absorbed by the booklet paper, or would simply never dry. The first 100 booklets had to wiped clean with a napkin and re-autographed once a suitable marker was found.
July 21, 2001
- Tim Chandler autographs nearly 500 copies of Mr Buechner's Dream at Dan & Lisa Michael's house in Nashville. The signing was witnessed by Dan & Lisa, Tom Howard, Jason and Eric Townsend - otherwise it wouldn't have been legal.
July 23, 2001
Mr Buechner's Dream
- DanielAmos.com preorders for Mr Buechner's Dream begin to ship.
View Album Reviews
Album Info & Lyrics
Terry: "Bible Stories was the working title for what would eventually become Mr. Buechner's Dream. I had envisioned the thematic contents of the lyrics to be similar in nature to those of 'Eleanor (It's Raining Now)', a song I'd penned for the Lost Dogs, which merged a narrative of a modern relationship with that of Adam and Eve in the Genesis story. Bible Stories would do this same kind of thing only on a larger, more ambitious scale, but as the album grew ever wider in scope, and new subjects and possibilities presented themselves, my original concept was abandoned, though not completely. 'Pregnant Pause' is among the handful of tunes originally conceived for Bible Stories. In it, like in 'Eleanor,' I've merged the story of an average married couple struggling with the difficulties of life and faith, with the story of Sarah and Abraham; specifically the announcement by God that the aged Sarah would give birth to a son. The title 'Pregnant Pause' itself is a play on words and hints at the idea that our modern couple is not only feeling the squeeze of financial and domestic burdens, but are anticipating even more financial pressures with the arrival of their formerly unexpected first child. Struggles with faith and doubt ensue, and a grand time is had by all!"
Terry: "Before Chris Colbert and the band began the mix sessions for the project, I had a chance to live with the rough mixes for a while. One morning at about 2 a.m., while driving back from the studios to my home in Southern California, I was listening to the results of that days work. Suddenly the most overwhelming sense of God's pleasure came over me. In that moment I knew that we had something pretty special. Two nights prior to this, Tim, Ed, and I were listening to a playback of 'Beautiful Martyr' and somewhat embarrassed ourselves when, simultaneously, the tears welled up in our eyes."
Terry: "Daniel Amos didn't start off thinking we'd record 33 songs. It just happened. I think Chris thought we were a little crazy. It's my sense that the shear joy of being together again in a creative setting after a seven years absence, coupled with the on going 'love affair' we've all shared down through the years, opened the floodgates of the creativity I believe is unique to Daniel Amos. We were like kids in a candy shop, albeit some fairly old kids."
Late July 2001
- DallasMusic.com concludes it's 4 part series on "Ten Christian Albums Every Satanist Should Hear", with a spotlight on Daniel Amos' "Alarma! Chornicles", Alarma!, Doppelganger, Vox Humana and Fearful Symmetry.
"Spotlight on Daniel Amos"
July 27, 2001
- Daniel Amos performs at the Creation Festival in Gorge, WA as part of the "Legends" tour with Randy Stonehill, the 77s and the Sweet Comfort Band. Plankeye's Luis Garcia sat in for Tim who could not make the show.
Set List: If You Want To, Walls of Doubt, Who's Who Here?, Ghost of the Heart, Aint Gonna Fight It, Joel
July 28, 2001
- Terry Scott Taylor and Mike Roe perform a small private show at the Moses Lake Convention Center in Moses Lake, WA.
Set List: Pretend I'm Elvis, If You Want To, Buffalo Hills, Startin' Monday (w/ Mike Roe), Pie Hole, Capistrano Beach, With What I Should Have Said, Papa Danced On Olvera Street, Angels Must Smile Like That, Ten Gallon Hat, And So It Goes, You Lay Down, Blue Sky (Mike Roe), Genuine (Mike Roe), Related (Mike Roe), One More Time (Mike Roe), Go With God, But Go (Mike Roe), Lovely Man (Mike Roe), Rocks In Your Head (Mike Roe), Medley: Indian Winter/The Jig Is Up /The Best I Have/Sevens, Blue All Over (Mike Roe), Caught In An Unguarded Moment (Mike Roe), Bullet Train (with Mike Roe), Certain Love (with Mike Roe), Eleanore It's Raining Now (with Mike Roe), In The Distance (with Mike Roe), Three Legged Dog (with Mike Roe), I Luv Rap Music (with Mike Roe), Let's Spin (with Mike Roe), Golden Dreams (with Mike Roe), Why Is The Devil Red? (with Mike Roe), Joel (with Mike Roe)
August 3, 2001
- Daniel Amos performs two shows at the Inside Out Soul Festival in Lincoln, NH as part of the "Legends" tour with Randy Stonehill, the 77s and the Sweet Comfort Band. Plankeye's Luis Garcia sat in for Tim who could not make the show.
- Terry Scott Taylor performs two acoustic shows with Phil Madeira at the Inside Out Soul Festival in Lincoln, NH.
August 7, 2001
- Daniel Amos performs three songs at the KingdomBound Festival in Darien, NY as part of the "Legends" tour with Randy Stonehill, the 77s and the Sweet Comfort Band. Plankeye's Luis Garcia sat in for Tim who could not make the show. DA performed "Author of the Story", "Walls of Doubt" and "If You Want To",
August 24, 2001
- Terry Scott Taylor performs at the Windmill Inn in Chandler, AZ with Phil Madeira.
September 11, 2001
- America is attacked. Thousands are killed when terrorists crash hijacked planes into the World Trade Center Towers.
(Terry shares some of his thoughts on this tragedy in his article "Here I Am... There You Are ("Imagine No John Lennon")"
September 25, 2001
- The Lost Dogs Real Men Cry is released on BEC Records.
View Album Reviews
- Terry writes an article for Worship Leader Magazine. ("My Dinner with Bambi: How I Found God at the Movies")
October 30, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform in Wheaton IL at Wheaton Evangelical Free Church with Phil Madeira
October 31, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform in Livonia, MI at the Trinity House Theatre with Phil Madeira
- Terry writes an article for HM Magazine. ("Old Wild Men")
- CCM Magazine reviews the Lost Dogs Real Men Cry.
View Album Reviews
- Sony releases a "Goodie Bear" childrens book in Japan. "Goodie Bear" is a character created by Douglas TenNapel (in 2000, Terry wrote and recorded a theme song for this character). Sony also opened a "Goodie Bear Cafe" in Japan which features murals painted by TenNapel.
- Live from the Acoustic Stage is released by Silent Planet Records. The compilation features live recordings of "If You Want to," "Papa Danced on Olvera Street," both recorded at Cornerstone 2001.
November 1, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform in Indianapolis, IN at the Radio, Radio Club with Phil Madeira
November 2, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform in Sullivan, IN at the Historic Sherman House Theatre with Phil Madeira
November 3, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform in St Louis, MO at Christ Church, UCC with Phil Madeira
November 4, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform in Owensboro, KY at Macedonia Baptist Church with Phil Madeira
Greg Martin, of the Kentucky Headhunters, joined the Dogs on guitar.
November 5, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform in Lexington, KY at Asbury College with Phil Madeira
November 6, 2001
- The Lost Dogs perform in Atlanta, GA at The IF Coffeehouse with Phil Madeira
November 7, 2001
The Lost Dogs in Nashville. Photo by Eric Townsend
- The Lost Dogs perform in Franklin, TN at the Franklin Merchantile with Phil Madeira
Local Nashvillians and others spotted in the audience included Jimmy Abegg, Ray Ware, Tim Chandler, Tom Howard, Riki Michele, Dan Michaels, Jason Townsend, Eric Townsend and John Hartley of Phil & John.
November 8, 2001
- Terry Taylor, Mike Roe, Derri Daugherty and Phil Madeira meet at Derri's house to record together before Mike & Terry had to return to California. The guys worked on a song of Phil's called "The Real Meaning of Christmas". Unfortunately, the guys did not have enough time together to finish the song this year.
November 9, 2001
- Terry flies home to California after his tour with the Lost Dogs.
November 15, 2001
- Uncle Stonehill's Uncle Stonehill's Hat is released. The childrens project was cowritten and produced by Terry. Terry's daughter Noelle provides the voice for one of the main characters on the CD.
Visit Uncle Stonehill
November 29, 2001
- Former Beatle George Harrison dies of cancer.
(Terry wrote an article about George for HM magazine entitled "Here I Am... There You Are : George Harrison"
December 8, 2001
- Terry Taylor performs at the Snohomish County Christian School in Mount Lake Terrace, WA with Michael Roe, Theo and Aaron Sprinkle.
Set List: Not All Bad (Aaron Sprinkle), The Boy Who Stopped the World (Aaron Sprinkle), A Friend I Had (Aaron Sprinkle), Come As A Child (Theo)
The Father Loves The Son (Theo), Jesus Bless My Little Angel Boy (Theo), Blue Sky (Mike Roe), Smokescreen (Mike Roe), Related/ Genuine (Mike Roe), Go With God, But Go / MT (Mike Roe), Who'll Stop The Rain? (Mike Roe), Kites Without Strings (Mike Roe), The Wall of Heaven (Mike Roe), Mr Tamborine Man / The Lust, The Flesh, The Eyes and the Pride of Life (Mike Roe), If You Want To, Buffalo Hills, Startin Monday, Pie Hole, With What I Should Have Said, Capistrano Beach, Pretend I'm Elvis (For Just One Night), Papa Danced on Olvera Street, Angels Must Smile Like That, Ten Gallon Hat, You Lay Down, Wild Ride (with Roe), Bullet Train (with Roe), Free Drinks and a Dream (A Vegas Story) (with Roe), Eleanor, It's Raining Now (with Roe), Built For Glory, Made to Last (with Roe), Amber Waves Goodbye (with Roe), In the Distance (with Roe), Little Drummer Boy (all), Silent Night (all), Joel (all), Let's Spin (all), I Am A Pilgrim (all), And So It Goes (all)